Many small and medium-sized businesses have an in-house IT expert that manages all their technology for them. But what happens if your expert up and quits?
It could prove more than a minor inconvenience. It could be a major ordeal. As a business owner, it’s important to know how and where your network information is stored. If you’re wondering where to start, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you have written documentation about your network? Do you know what software licenses you own? How about hardware? What are the critical administrator passwords to your devices and systems? Do you use cloud vendors for online storage or email? Depending on a single IT person to keep this information under his full control is foolhardy and could lead to serious consequences for your business. You should have access to this information and know where it’s kept.
- Do you know where your backup files are stored? Do you even know if they’re being stored properly? I know you’re busy with your day to day business and probably think you don’t have time to worry about this. But what happens if your IT expert splits? You could be in a lot of trouble. Bad things do happen to good computers, and users make errors.
- Do you have a disaster recovery plan? Databases fry, servers crash, and hackers happen. If you don’t have a working plan for restoring your data, your business could be at serious risk.
- Do you know where your software is stored? Organizing and storing your software in a secure place can save you time and money should something happen to your network.
- Do you know what routine maintenance your network requires? It may sound overwhelming to keep up on the state of your servers and workstations, but you should have a general idea of network needs. After all, if your in-house expert leaves, who will take over?
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, it’s time to get the answers. The welfare of your business is too important to depend on one in-house IT expert, no matter how good that person is. Make a point to learn your network essentials today!